Sport is great!

 

Do you like sport?

What team sports can you play?

Can you think of verbs that describe the following sports - cycling, skiing, swimming?

 

activity

verb

verb phrase

swimming

swim

go swimming

running

run

go running

jogging

jog

go jogging

skiing

ski

go skiing

ice-skating

ice-skate

go ice-skating

fishing

fish

go fishing


We usually use go with activities ending with -ing especially if you need to go somewhere to do them. But we don't use go with combat sports so it doesn't work with boxing.

go + activity

  • ending -ing

  • you go somewhere to do it

But!

  • do boxing


In the third person of Present Simple you add the ending -(e)s to the sport verb or to the verb go (so you change to goes).

She ice-skates. or
She goes ice-skating.

Mind that we take away the final e from sport verbs when adding -ing:
skate - skating
hike - hiking

We also double the consonant if we see one vowel + one consonant at the end of sport verbs:
run - running
swim - swimming
But! This doesn't work with if there are 2 consonants:
climb - climbing
hunt - hunting

What sports do they do?
,,,

🏅Which of these words describe activities, people, gear, feelings?

excitement - trainee -         thrill - wicket -       adrenaline junky -      bungee jumping - scuba diving helmet -          ski suit -          board skydiving -        bat - wimp -         hooked -                   fear mountain biking -         rod - carefree -          stress-free -           trainer -     paragliding -       net -         racquet -             parachuting -          amusement -          frustration -             motocross -           jet-skiing -              coach -             anxiety -            disappointment -            relaxation -             hiking -          daredevil

🌊Which of the words below would you use to complete the sentences?

  1. White water rafting is so ... !
  2. Do you need some ...? Try white water rafting.
  3. I feel so ... about my new hobby.

exciting / excited / excitement





Find adjectives in the sentences below.

  1. Sport keeps you fit.
  2. If you do sport, you stay healthy and strong.
  3. But be careful and avoid injury if you do extreme sports.
  4. Wear and use safe gear.
  5. When do you feel more energetic, in the morning or in the evening?
  6. These fruit and vegetables are rich in fibre and good for you.
  7. Since I'm an early riser, I prefer to do most of my chores in the morning.
  8. I find surfing exciting.

  • Give the opposite adjectives using negative prefixes and suffixes to the adjectives in sentences 1, 2, 3, 4, 8.
  • Give opposite adjectives to all the other adjectives.
Degrees of comparison

Rememeber the rule:

One syllable: -er, -est

One syllable ending in -e: -r, -st

One syllable consonant + short vowel + consonant: double the consonant before the suffix

Two syllables ending in -y: change y to i + -er, -est

Two or more syllables: more, the most

Exceptions: good, bad, ill, little, far



Now open the brackets by changing the adjectives to the right form:

 
  1. Why is jumping off a building (scary) than jumping out of a plane?
  2. Some adrenaline junkies are even (bold) – they've invented wingsuit flying.
  3. What's (thrilling) experience you've ever had?







Read the email and choose the right variant:

Hello Robert,

It's always nice to hear from you. So, you ask me about my health habits. Well, to be honest, I do need more exercise. I used to go for / on / through a run on / at / in the mornings when I was in the seventh form, but I have become too lazy. I'm going to taking up / to take up / take up running again soon. I also need it because I have grown a bit fat around my waste / waist / west.

You are also interesting / interested / interest in my favourite sports. Well, I think I like basketball and volleyball best. In summer I often play / I play often / often I play volleyball with my friends on the beach. Frankly speaking, I'm not very good in / at / about basketball, but I'd like to give it a shot. I believe I'm a team player so I'd rather not play / do / go tennis or play / go / do wrestling. Yet, I find cycling / cycle / bicycle very exciting.

You are wondering what fun sport you might do. If I were you, I would try / will try / should try frisbee - it's more fun to practise with a friend. You could also try kayaking or stand-up paddle boarding if you know how to be water-safe. I never have tried / have never tried / didn't ever try these sports myself but I'm sure they are fantastic.

Please tell me how you feel about them / they / their.

Love,

Oleg.


Verbs with sports

go, do or play?

We use play to talk about

  • sports with a ball (like football, tennis, baseball)
  • or games (chess, battleship)

We also use play and the with musical instruments, like play the violon, play the guitar, play the piano.

We use do to talk about

  • recreational activities (yoga, crossword puzzles),
  • non-team sports that do not use a ball (karate, athletics, gymnastics)

We use go to talk about activities that end in -ing: fishing, swimming, skiing

We also say go + for + a noun, for example, go for a run, for a swim, for a drive.

But we use do with combat sports (boxing, wrestling, fencing)

We also use do with hobbies where you don't have to go anywhere to do them (like gardening)

Can you sat these verbs correctly?





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty standards

Money and shopping